Medeas Consortium asks European Leaders to act
During the last four years, our consortium have been developing an advanced modelling tool to create, modify and test new and existing policies which could support the transition to a more sustainable European Energy system, based on renewable energy sources. We believe this tool can help the policy makers and scientists to plan and further realize the necessary actions in order to avoid the catastrophic consequences of the climate change.
OPEN LETTER OF THE CONSORTIUM
The European Commission has launched an ambitious strategy for achieving a carbon-neutral society in Europe by 2050. Tackling questions such as what this transition involves, which challenges must be overcome and what policies must be implemented is now more important than ever.
MEDEAS project has studied the transition to a low carbon socio-economy through the analysis of different future evolution pathways regarding GHG emissions, energy supply-demand and biophysical resources (raw materials, land and water) required. At MEDEAS we found that:
- There will be a counterintuitive increase of GHG emissions in the beginning of the transition, which appears essential to power the renewable energy deployment.
- The increasing amount of biophysical resources are required for the renewable energy sources deployment.
- The current implementation rates of renewable energy sources are not sufficient for the EU to become a carbon free socio-economy by 2050.
- If the transition is delayed/avoided the consequences for the EU will be very serious. The projections show huge negative impacts on employment, economic activities and planned GHG emissions reduction.
- Providing enough storage capacity will be key to counteract the intermittency of renewable energies.
- Electrification of all economic sectors will be required to reduce the dependency on fossil fuels.
According to these findings, we ask EU authorities for:
- legislating for a massive and urgent renewable energy sources deployment in EU, with concrete measures and deadlines before 2030.
- devoting immediately the necessary investments from public and private sectors to address such urgency.
- phasing out the fossil fuel with the help of EU subsidies.
- addressing the necessary policies for conducting societal changes required for a decarbonized socio-economy within the biophysical limits
We hope that our findings will be taken into consideration and actions will be taken without delay.
SIGN THE OPEN LETTER TO THE EUROPEAN LEADERS
We ask you to sign this letter for supporting the before mentioned actions based on the findings of MEDEAS.
With all the supports achieved we will send this letter to the EU Parliament and Commission
By subscribing, you give approval to display your name on this website as a signatory of the open letter.
We hold your information for the following purposes:
To report to the European Commission (EC) in accordance with our contract with them. Information will be retained for 5 years after the end of the MEDEAS contract in accordance with EC rules
|List of signatories||Occupation||Country|
|František Juřík||Driver||Czech Republic|
|Ivo Kropáček||waste expert||Česko|
|Kateřina Mišovičová||Student||Czech republic|
|Kateřina Mišovičová||Prague||Czech republic|
|Kristýna Kyánková||Coordinator of volunteers FOE Czechia||Czech Republic|
|Dr. Christoph Musik||Researcher||Austria|
|Andres Felipe Correa Machado||Student||Vienna|
|Alabiso Andrea||Worker, student and activist||Italy|
|Marco Olobardi||Business Continuity Consultant, Retired||Italy|
|Patricia Bautista de Lisbona Puig||Shoemaker||Spain|
|Xavier Pallarés Vidal||Computer Technician||Catalunya, Spain|
|Pelai Joly Ribas||Jubilat||Catalunya|
|Miquel Molinas Bort||Teacher||Spain|
|Núria Gassó||biologist||Catalonia, Spain|
|Oscar Corona malacara||Empleado||Mexico|
|Luis Montalvo||HSE||Catalonia, Spain|
|Jaume Avila Ballart||IT||Catalonia|
|Víctor Sastre Ribes||Tėcnico de inclusión Laboral||España|
|Víctor Sastre Ribes||Tėcnico inclusión Laboral||España|
|Angie lorena fernandez parra||Gestora comercial de seguros||España|
|Alexandre Collado Lario||Teacher||Catalunya, Spain|
|Damià Jiménez||Teacher||Catalonia (Sapin)|
|David William Toussaint||Landlord||U.K.|
|Amelia Nicola Burke||director fabricants de futur ngo||Spain|
|Mª Nieves casajuana Filella||Chairwoman Revo Prosperidad Sostenible||Spain|
|Alejandro Fernandez Rodriguez||Engineer||Spain|
|MIGUEL MAS PEREIRO||Firefighter||Spain|
|Davide Natalini||Researcher||United Kingdom|
|María Montserrat Pozo||Artist||Spain|
|Eduardo Aguilera Fernández||Post-Doc Researcher||Spain|
|Jesús Díez Sancho||Teacher||Spain|
|Begoña de Bernardo Miño||Agroturismo||Galicia-España|
|Norma Quesada||Teacher||United States|
|José Félix Fernández||Teacher||Spain|
|José Luis Sánchez||Engineer||Spain|
|Luis González Reyes||Educator||Spain|
|Patricia Oliván Muro||Fisioterapeuta||Spain|
|María Martín Vivaldi bueso||Bibliotecas||España|
|Enrique Muñoz Ulecia||PhD Student||Spain|
|Ana María Sierra Muriel||Desempleada||España|
|Inés Astorga Doncel- Moriano||Administrativa||España|
|Andrés Ortega Felipe||Funcionario de Instituciones Penitenciarias.||España|
|Jesús Corrales Mota||Subcontrata||España|
|JOSÉ ANASTASIO URRA URBIETA||UNIVERSITY PROFESSOR||SPAIN|
|María Isabel Recuero Tejeda||T Aux Enfermería||SPAIN|
|Arrate Lopez Markina||Educational and environmental programs technician||Basque Country (Spain)|
|Vicent Cucarella Tormo||Economist||Spain|
|Joaquim Nogueras Raig||Physician||Spain|
|Veronica Aneris||Transport and environment||Italy|
|Arnau Boix i Pi||Arlequin||Catalonia, Spain|
|Jordi Solé||Scientist, MEDEAS PI||Catalonia (Spain)|
|Romana Kaclíková||Energy Campaigner||Czech republic|